Growing up, brownies came straight from a box and having anything other than Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies was a luxury and quite unexpected. As I grew older and was able to afford the luxury of crafting my own home goods from scratch, I knew it was time to bring back a childhood favorite, but this time, organic and homemade.
If you haven’t tried your hand at making brownies from scratch, it’s time to give it a try! The best brownies are homemade, warm and straight from the oven, not from a box.
I had no idea making brownies from scratch would be so unbelievable easy and you don’t need too many ingredients. Although we use all organic ingredients, use what you have available to you; all you need is butter (we use salted butter, but you can use unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt to the recipe), three eggs, bittersweet chocolate, flour (we used spelt), sugar, and vanilla extract.
Set a non-stick pot over medium-low heat, add your butter and chocolate chips (continuously stirring), and remove it form the heat once the butter and chocolate is melted,then add your sugar, once those ingredients are mixed together add the eggs, vanilla extract, and flour.
Butter up a non-stick baking pan and spread in the chocolate mixture. Put it in the oven for 18 minutes (do not over bake), when you put in your test toothpick, it will come out slightly gooey, this is exactly what you want.
Remove the chocolate brownies from the oven, put them in the fridge uncovered for 15 minutes in order to get them to solidify enough to handle because they just might be that gooey, but believe me, once you let them cool, you will have some delicious chocolate brownies in your hands. Once the chocolate brownies cool in the fridge, remove the brownies from the pan (they will come out easily), cut them up and serve. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour, we used spelt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (we used bittersweet chocolate chips)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the butter and chocolate in a non-stick pot set over medium-low heat, using a silicone whisk, whisk together until the butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir in the sugar. Whisk eggs, sea salt and vanilla extract. Add flour and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 inch pan, bake for 18 minutes, make sure not to over bake them. Cool completely.