“Healthy” Banana Bread… oh, and vegan too!
Trying to go the “healthy” route with your desserts? Looking for a vegan option? This Banana Bread Recipe takes the classic banana bread recipe to a healthier route by removing the need for any butter, eggs and milk! To continue on this healthy route, we added in flax seed oil to add in moisture that is much needed (especially when using rye flour) and for those of you that require some sweetness, we added maple syrup and chocolate chips (I mean, we said “healthy”), but remember, these are optional! We opted in for Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chips that are dairy, soy and nut free.
The recipe will make two loafs of banana bread, about 8 slices a loaf. Enjoy!
Banana Bread Ingredients:
- 2 cups of rye flour or choose your own
- 1/3 cup flax seed oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 5 crushed overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, we use dairy-free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life, they also have vegan morsels (optional)
Banana Bread Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, chocolate chips to
- Mash up the bananas in a separate bowl and mix in the rest of the wet ingredients
- Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until blended/well moistened – if too dry, add in a splash of water (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- Line two loaf pans with parchment paper and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool
From Ingredients to the finished product:
What are the benefits of Flax Seed Oil? Below are just a few, but a quick Google search can give you a wealth of information.
Flax Seed Oil is high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, it may Help Reduce Cancer Cell Growth, and it could Benefit Heart Health